Community Living | Coupon | Police Scanner | E-News Signup | Archives | Merchant Directory | Dining Guide
Have a HOT TIP? Call 704-276-6587 Or E-mail us At LH@LincolnHerald.net
Lincoln Herald | Lincolnton, NC


home : community : community October 19, 2019

8/24/2017 2:51:00 PM
Newbold High School Alumni Celebration Coming Up
(Above) Enlarged aerial view of Newbold from 1952. (Below) Photo of George (G.E.) Massey inset on picture of school from 1966 school annual. 
(Above) Enlarged aerial view of Newbold
from 1952. (Below) Photo of George (G.E.)
Massey inset on picture of school
from 1966 school annual. 
Dr. Hazelene Hush Ford from the Newbold Class of 1966 will be the guest speaker at the Worship Service on September 3.(Photos Courtesy Newbold Alumni Committee)
Dr. Hazelene Hush Ford from the Newbold Class of 1966 will be the guest speaker at the Worship Service on September 3.

(Photos Courtesy Newbold Alumni Committee)
Press Release
Newbold Alumni Committee


LINCOLNTON, N.C. – Graduates, family and friends, from near and far, of Newbold High School, will be celebrating the 17th Newbold Alumni Committee Reunion beginning Friday, September 1 through Sunday, September 3.  

Every two years, the alumni come together to celebrate the history of attending Newbold High School from 1952 to 1968, the only High School in Lincoln County African Americans could attend until 1966.

Schedule of Events:

  • Friday, September 1: Alumni Cook-Out/Meet & Greet from 4 p.m. until 8 p.m. at the American Legion Building, 1120 North Aspen Street, Lincolnton, NC 28092.
  • Saturday, September 2: Banquet & Ball at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, 1385 Lenoir-Rhyne Blvd. SE, Hickory, NC 28602 with the Banquet from 4-8 p.m.; Group/Individual Pictures beginning at 6 p.m. until; Dance & Ball 8 p.m. until 12 midnight; Crowning of Queen/King 9 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. (This is our largest fundraiser for the G.E. Massey Scholarship Fund used to provide scholarships for students residing in Lincoln County. Each class will have a representative competing to be crowned. Please support your classmates by donating to this fund. If you can’t attend please make a contribution in behalf of your respective class.) Also, Newbold High School paraphernalia will be sold during this time.
  • Sunday, September 3: Worship Service, 3 p.m. at Providence Missionary Baptist Church in Lincolnton, N.C. with guest speaker Dr. Hazelene Hush Ford from the Class of 1966.

The fee to attend this year’s event is $60 per person and is due by the absolute deadline of Wednesday, August 30 and will cover all the scheduled events. No money will be accepted at the door.

For more information or to register contact Arthur Roseboro, President, at 704-666-0687 or Dr. Linda N. Hudson at (704) 519-8487.


The following “Newbold” and “How Education for African Americans Began in Lincoln County, N.C.” articles were written by Rudolph Young, local historian and genealogist:   

NEWBOLD

No institution operates within a vacuum.
It is part of the society and community it serves!



1 - West Lincoln Vet Regular Ad

In pursuant of guidelines set down in the state codes of 1949, governing the standards of schools, the Lincoln County Board of Education, finally, in 1951, initiated seven building projects throughout the county. Its purpose was to bring the schools up to building standards. There was no high school for black students in the county school system. There was, however, a high school in the Lincolnton school system for blacks, but it did not meet the guidelines according to the number of students and the requirement for accreditation.

It was decided that bringing black children from both systems into a new consolidated school within the county system could solve this problem. In February 1951, The Lincoln County School Board advertised to let contracts to the lowest bidder for the construction of a new school. The new school was simply designated project # 7. The estimated time of completion was one year from the awarding of the first contract, which would have been awarded around February 28, 1951.The architect, was Robert L. Clemmer of Hickory, North Carolina. The building, plumbing, heating and electrical contractors were local companies.

It was suggested by Dr. W.G. Bandy, then the chairman of the Lincoln County School Board, that this proposed school would be named, Newbold Union School in honor of Dr. Nathan Carter Newbold.

Newbold was a white educator, who for over 40 years had been involved in the education of black students. His service was mostly within the Division of Negro Education within the State Department of Education.

As early as 1920, he served as the North Carolina agent of the Rosenwald Fund, which aided in the construction of over 600 black schools in this state, including Oaklawn School. Newbold and his assistant, George E. Davis of Johnson C. Smith University involved themselves directly in the Oaklawn School. Newbold announced his retirement in 1951. The board accepted Dr. Bandy's suggestion with the support of Mr. Joe Nixon, the superintendent. The "Union" was dropped from the name because there was already a Union High School in the County for whites. Dr. Bandy died months later and did not see the completion of the new school.

At first glance, the construction of the school seemed to have been completed on time and within budget, which was set at $183,000. On examination of school board minutes, one finds that the school was deliberately underfunded. Shortly after construction began, Newbold received the lowest priority of the seven projects. The architect was forced to revise his plans to allow for nine classrooms instead of eleven. No provisions were made for a gymnasium or an auditorium. The school board said that it was restrained by its present budget, an excuse we heard many times over the years.

It is interesting that projects five and six were over funded by the exact cost of the two classrooms and adjoining hallway, which was in the original plans for Newbold.

These classrooms were eventually built along with a gymnatorium some years later.

The students were scheduled to start at Newbold in March,'52, but Mother Nature did not cooperate. Rain and snow had soaked the grounds, which had not yet been paved. The students from Oaklawn and other schools in the county, except Northbrook in West Lincoln, arrived on campus around April 20th, 1952.    

This notice appeared in the local newspaper on April 29, 1952: "The students and faculty of Newbold High School will hold their initial open house on Friday" The Principal is George E. Massey.

April 20, 1952 marks the founding date of Newbold High School and the beginning of a sixteen-year history that became the origin of our legacy which was part of the one-hundred-year legacy [1868-1968] of separate and unequal African American education in Lincoln County.

It started with the naming of the school by Dr. W.G. Bandy and it ended with the renaming of the school by Norris Childers, the superintendent. He simply made a motion in a school board meeting to change the name to Central in 1969.The motion was unopposed.

As in 1951, we were not there to lend our voices, so we were never heard then.

After the founding of the school in 1952, the first landmark came in 1953 with the graduation of a class that began and ended a full year at Newbold. There were many such landmarks over the next sixteen years. The second landmark came with the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in the case of Brown versus the Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, 1954.

It did not interest us then; after all, the implementation of that court order was 14 years in our future.

The third landmark came in 1955, with the arrival of five new teachers, Harper, Turner, Mckaskill, Murray and Pryor.

Mrs. Lillian Pryor Williams said,"Mr. Massey wanted to hire teachers who lived up to his moral standards."

The fourth landmark came in 1957, with the graduation of the class that was at Newbold a full four years. 1957 also marked the school’s fifth anniversary year.

The fifth landmark was the senior year 1962-1963, which was the tenth anniversary year. This year above others defined us as a student body and community.

We all have fond memories of our school, so we tend to overlook the realities of discrimination in a segregated system, a system where we received second-hand and hand-me-down books from the white high school.

Some of the books came to us with racial epithets written in them.

Our science lab was inadequately equipped. I remember that each biology class dissected the same frogs until the organs were unidentifiable and fell apart.

The school and community had to purchase their own activity bus. We witnessed the greatest creativity in raising money. One class raffled off a pig among workers at the Cowan Ford Dam. We saw the creation of the Junior Oratorical Contest to advance public speaking, and the establishment of a varsity track and field program. Our home economics department became one of the best in the state. We could continue but we will leave it for now.

1966, was the beginning of the end. The Supreme Court ruling caught up with Lincoln County. The Court ruled back in '54 that Segregated schools were “inherently unequal”, and must be desegregated with “all deliberate speed". There were two Newbold students already at Lincolnton High School, and another at Rock Springs Elementary. The H.E.W., now a defunct governmental agency, came to Lincolnton and said that the schools must be fully integrated immediately, or federal funds would be cut off.

The class of 1967 -1968 was the last high school class. The elementary school year of '68-'69 was the last year school was held under the Newbold name.

The school operated as Central Junior High School. The Newbold Alumni Association petitioned the school board to change the school’s name many years later.

The name was change to G.E. Massey Elementary School in honor of George E. Massey, the first and only Principal of Newbold High and Elementary School.   


How Education for African Americans
Began in Lincoln County, N.C.

BESS CHAPEL CHURCH

  • 1859: During 1859, Bess Chapel Methodist Church was established by local whites in the Vale, N.C. community. As was the southern antebellum practice, black slaves may have attended Bess Chapel and allowed to sit in the rear or upstairs gallery! A slave cemetery was/is established there.

BESS CHAPEL SCHOOL

  • 1867: (Two years after emancipation) Bess Chapel School, opened in the Vale area associated with a newly established black church, El Bethel ME Church. This is the earliest known established public education for African Americans in Lincoln County, N.C. The Freedmen‘s Bureau reported that this school did not have class in cold weather, as it was no more than a stand in the woods. Nathan Bess and Lucy Craft were the teachers at the Bess School in 1867. Lucy Craft, about 14-years-old, was originally from Georgia. She later became a very famous educator known as Lucy C. Laney in the Augusta, Georgia area.

EL BETHEL SCHOOL

  • 1880: El Bethel ME Church, was rebuilt in 1880 by Christopher Bess for the local black population. This allowed the black community to build their own school called it El Bethel School. A large influx of migrant blacks from the Lancaster, South Carolina area settled in the Vale north west Lincoln county community during the late 1930’s – 1950’s. This caused massive growth in the ‘New El Bethel Methodist Church into the 1950’s. The African American Bess family pulled out of Bess Chapel in in Vale in 1865. The Freedmen‘s Bureau reported that this school did not have class in cold weather, as it was no more than a stand in the woods. Thomas Bess went to Lincolnton and co-founded Hinton Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church on Lee Avenue. He later moved to the Poplar Springs community. Hinton Chapel, as a United Methodist Church, then moved to Car Farm Road. A Quaker School was established in 1867 in an existing house. It had glass windows rather than shutters. It had fire places rather than free standing Franklin stoves. This school house had a second floor. It was located across the street where Sears store is now. It was founded by the society of friends of Philadelphia, Pa. In 1870, the freedmen school was held in trust by Moore’s chapel AME Zion church. The western North Carolina conference established Moore’s academy in the church in 1891. This school was moved to Greenville, Alabama and became Lomax-Hannon College in 1893.

1924-1968: FEEDER SCHOOLS THAT SUPPORTED NEWBOLD HIGH

  • The Lincolnton Rosenwald School was established in 1924. Under the first principal, Luther L. Ramseur, the school was renamed Oaklawn School. There were five more Rosenwald Schools in the county. They were Rock Hill, Tuckers Grove, Mt. Vernon, Poplar Grove and Rock Hill. In 1952, these schools were built under Nathan C. Newbold, an agent of the Rosenwald Fund in North Carolina. In 1952 a new high school was built and named for Newbold. Newbold High School operated until 1968. The members of the class of 1969 were not able to graduate. They were in the ’69 class at West Lincoln, Lincolnton, and East Lincoln. Students from west Lincoln came from the Vale and North Brook All Black Elementary Schools; from Mt. Vernon School, Popular Springs School, Tuckers Grove Elementary and Rock Hill Elementary. Students from the eastern and western Lincoln County area were shuttled by school bus using student drivers to Newbold after the 7th grade. It was a two-hour ride getting to Lincolnton from the Denver area each a.m. and after school drive.  


 

Have Us E-mail You The Latest News
Click Here

LincolnHerald.net

Your #1 Local Source for News, Sports, Opinion, Obituaries, Religion, Classifieds, Events, Photos, Community, Coupons, and more!

Serving Lincoln, Catawba, Gaston and Cleveland counties including the areas of Lincolnton, Denver, Maiden, Stanley, Alexis, Vale, Crouse, Iron Station, High Shoals and Cherryville.

Not a newspaper, not a magazine, we’re online – on your computer at home or work, on your smartphone… with news and more 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year including holidays.



Related Stories:
• Newbold Reunion


1- Jackie Dameron Farm Bureau


Reader Comments

Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2019
Article comment by: Tom Johnson

I picked my wife, Judy, up at the airport last night. She just returned from her 50 year Newbold HS Reunion. She still hasnít stopped gushing over all her HS classmates. Just wanted to thank you all for making her so happy.



Article Comment Submission Form
Please feel free to submit your comments.

Article comments are not posted immediately to the Web site. Each submission must be approved by the Web site editor, who may edit content for appropriateness. There may be a delay of 24-48 hours for any submission while the web site editor reviews and approves it.

Note: All information on this form is required. Your telephone number is for our use only, and will not be attached to your comment.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Required
Last Name:
Required
Telephone:
Required
Email:
Required
Comment:
Required
Passcode:
Required
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.
   


North Carolina News










News

HomeNewsState NewsReligionOpinionSportsObituariesExtrasCommunityClassifiedsSubmitLife

Terms and Use | Merchant Directory | Dining Guide
Site Design and Content
Copyright Lincoln Herald, LLC 2011-2019

 


Software © 1998-2019 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved