STUART W. CRAMER HIGH SCHOOL
Valedictorian: Carol Grealis
- College Plans: University of Mississippi to major in nursing on a pre-pharmacy track; plans to pursue a career as a specialized nurse or pharmacist.
- Accolades: Gaston Gazette Star Student; National Honor Society and Fellowship of Christian Athletes president; chief junior marshal; University of Mississippi merit and valedictorian scholarships.
Salutatorian: Micah Jenkins
- College Plans: UNC-Charlotte to major in mechanical engineering with a concentration in biomedical; plans to pursue a career in designing and creating prosthetics.
- Accolades: junior marshal; member of the National Honor Society and National Technical Honor Society; UNC-Charlotte Chancellor’s Scholarship and S-STEM Engineering Academy Pathways Scholarship from UNC-Charlotte’s Lee College of Engineering; completed one year of college transfer credits through the Career and College Promise program at Gaston College.
EAST GASTON HIGH SCHOOL
Valedictorian: Kaitlyn Marie Mesimer
- College Plans: Appalachian State University to major in exercise science.
- Accolades: State Employees Credit Union “People Helping People” Scholarship; Gaston Gazette Best and Brightest; dance team member for four years and co-captain her senior year.
Salutatorian: Ariana Marqui Stephenson
- College Plans: UNC-Chapel Hill to major in biology and music on a pre-medicine track.
- Accolades: UNC-Chapel Hill Music Department Scholarship and Jimmie Norris Scholarship; John Phillip Sousa Band Award recognizing her outstanding musicianship and dedication as drum major for the marching band.
FORESTVIEW HIGH SCHOOL
Valedictorian: Nicole Bolton
- College Plans: Duke University to major in political science and public policy; plans to attend law school and pursue a career as a human rights, environmental, or immigration lawyer.
- Accolades: Benjamin N. Duke Scholar; University of Chicago Presidential Scholar; University of Virginia Echols Scholar; Advanced Placement (AP) Scholar with Distinction.
Salutatorian: Sophia Jurs
- College Plans: UNC-Chapel Hill (major is undecided); plans to pursue a career as a dermatologist or veterinarian.
- Accolades: Vice president of Mayor’s Youth Leadership Council; 2019 Female Athlete of the Year Award; member of the varsity soccer, tennis, and basketball teams; senior class president; 2019 homecoming queen.
GASTON EARLY COLLEGE HIGH SCHOOL
Valedictorian: Shane Carter Fogarty
- College Plans: N.C. State University College of Design to major in architecture; plans to pursue a career as an accredited architect and own an architecture firm.
- Accolades: Gaston College Outstanding Graduate Award; first place award (physical science category) at the Gaston Regional Science and Engineering Fair; N.C. School of Science and Math certificate of completion with a concentration in material science and engineering; highest academic average award in 10 high school classes; won awards for product pitch, graphic identity, and finance projects; State Employees Credit Union “People Helping People” Scholarship; N.C. Association of County Agricultural Agents Youth Scholarship.
Salutatorian: Reed Martin
- College Plans: UNC-Chapel Hill to major in biology; plans to attend medical school.
- Accolades: Eagle Scout; volunteer trip to Madagascar through the Projects Abroad program; ROTC scholarship.
HIGHLAND SCHOOL OF TECHNOLOGY
Valedictorian: Urael Eliam Mussie
- College Plans: UNC-Chapel Hill to major in biochemistry and public health; plans to pursue a career as a doctor and entrepreneur in global health.
- Accolades: UNC-Chapel Hill Morehead-Cain Scholar; Gaston Gazette Star Student; student body president; RamHOST student ambassador; Leadership Enterprise for a Diverse America (LEDA) summer program at Princeton University; Albert G. Myers Scholarship; University of Pennsylvania and Stanford University merit scholarships.
Salutatorian: Morgan Rae Harper
- College Plans: N.C. State University to major in international business – business administration and business management.
- Accolades: President of FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America); RamHOST student ambassador; actively involved in the Powder Puff, Relay for Life, Pink Toilet, and Winter Warmth Drive community service projects/fundraisers; Schiele Museum volunteer; scholar-athlete.
HUNTER HUSS HIGH SCHOOL
Valedictorian: Henry Harris Taylor
- College Plans: UNC-Chapel Hill to major in biology; plans to pursue a career as a dentist, veterinarian, or pharmacist.
- Accolades: Senior class president; Beta Club president; chief junior marshal; Mayor’s Youth Leadership Council; Commissioners School of Excellence.
Salutatorian: Preston Lee Teague
- College Plans: Appalachian State University to major in exercise science; plans to pursue a career as a physician’s assistant.
- Accolades: Appalachian State University Excellence Scholarship; junior marshal; National Honor Society; Advanced Placement (AP) U.S. History Student of the Year; AP English 11 highest average award.
NORTH GASTON HIGH SCHOOL
Valedictorian: Erin Medlock
- College Plans: N.C. State University to major in animal science.
- Accolades: North Gaston Female Scholar-Athlete of the Year; Gaston County Promise Scholarship; U.S. Marine Corps Award for Scholastic Excellence; National Honor Society; National Technical Honor Society; chief junior marshal.
Salutatorian: Savannah Baldwin
- College Plans: Western Carolina University to major in biology and integrated health science.
- Accolades: Gaston Gazette Best and Brightest; student body vice president; Western Carolina University Athletic Scholarship (softball); North Gaston’s Stephen Trudnak Memorial Award; Gaston County Promise Scholarship; National Honor Society; National Technical Honor Society; junior marshal.
SOUTH POINT HIGH SCHOOL
Valedictorian: Mollie Elizabeth Lund
- College Plans: Elon University to major in English and environmental studies; plans to pursue a career as a journalist who specializes in researching and reporting about the effects of environmental injustice.
- Accolades: National Honor Society; Beta Club; chamber choir for two years; Model United Nations for four years; Advanced Placement (AP) Scholar Award; Elon University Presidential Scholarship.
Salutatorian: Kevin Grant Li
- College Plans: Columbia University to major in economics and applied mathematics; plans to pursue a career in researching the economics of education.
- Accolades: Captain of the varsity swim team; National Honor Society vice president; Model United Nations president; Gaston Gazette Star Student and Best and Brightest.
Perfect Attendance Information
Each year, the Board of Education honors graduating seniors who achieve perfect attendance for either 12 years or 13 years. One senior in the Gaston County Schools Class of 2020 earned 13 years of perfect attendance for her entire school career (kindergarten through twelfth grade).
- Taylor Neely of Forestview High School achieved 13 years of perfect attendance. She plans to attend North Carolina A&T State University to major in kinesiology. She will receive a perfect attendance plaque from the Board of Education in recognition of her outstanding accomplishment.
Have Us E-mail You The Latest News
Your #1 Local Source for News, Sports, Opinion, Obituaries, Religion, Classifieds, Events, Photos, Community, Coupons, and more!
Serving Lincoln, Catawba, Gaston and Cleveland counties including the areas of Lincolnton, Denver, Maiden, Stanley, Alexis, Vale, Crouse, Iron Station, High Shoals and Cherryville.
Not a newspaper, not a magazine, we’re online – on your computer at home or work, on your smartphone… with news and more 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year including holidays.
To Make Sure You Always
Get The Latest Updates,
If You Haven’t Already:
Like Our Facebook Page and
Click On SEE FIRST at
Also Follow Us On Twitter