A fire early Monday morning (Nov. 29th) at a home in southwestern Catawba County was apparently caused by a space heater. A neighbor, who is a volunteer fireman, awakened a couple who were sleeping when the fire started about 4:30 Monday morning. They got out safely, but two dogs died in the fire, which was thought to have started from a space heater being operated in the kitchen of the home. Propst Crossroads, Cooksville, Mountain View and Union fire departments responded.
The fire destroyed the home andd briefly caught the woods nearby on fire.