The following went out to all parents of students at Lincoln Charter School on Tuesday (Aug. 17th):
LCS Eagles: COVID Safety Measure Update (8.17.21)
Lincoln Charter families, as a valued stakeholder I want to take this opportunity to provide you with some updates.
Unfortunately, today we have identified a number of COVID positives among staff and students at the Denver Campus. Our nursing staff is working hard to contact parents and families of students who are close contacts. Based on the information we have at this time, we cannot link these positives to school activities or exposures happening at school, however these cases are concerning nonetheless.
Also, as part of our continued partnership and communication with Lincoln County DHHS, Mr. Madden (Lincoln County DHHS Director) has sent the following communication to all schools in the county:
I am formally requesting all school systems to implement further source control measures in the way of mandatory face coverings and activity restrictions. Face coverings should be worn at all times while indoors except as stipulated in the StrongSchools NC Toolkit. I request this measure be implemented as part of your layered strategies to reduce the risk of COVID transmission while we are determined to be at HIGH risk for community transmission. This added preventive measure should begin effective this week, the week of August 16-20th, and as soon as feasible to notify parents and staff. Schools should plan to implement these strategies for a minimum of 30 days with the flexibility to extend further as determined by county metrics. This request would apply to all staff and students during routine operations where social distancing of 6’ or more cannot be maintained at all times.
Our School Board will consider this recommendation at their next Board meeting - currently scheduled for August 23. Therefore, to minimize any potential spread at Lincoln Charter and to maximize the amount of in person learning and decrease the potential for quarantining we are taking the following steps effective immediately.
- All staff members, Denver and Lincolnton, will mask while indoors
- All stakeholders (visitors, students, etc.) are strongly encouraged to mask, while indoors
- The Denver 6th grade will mask until further notice, due to multiple positives in this grade
- All students and staff will mask while using LCS transportation/bussing and afterschool care
- Additional safety measures will be implemented in each building to provide an additional layer of protection
While I understand that these measures may be frustrating to some, please understand that this action is an additional layer of protection. As previously stated in the Covid Tips flyer:
Approved face coverings for students (aside from 6th grade Denver) are strongly recommended, but not required. It is up to the parent or guardian to ensure that their child is wearing their mask appropriately. Below are the reasons why:
- A close contact is anyone within 3 feet. All desks and students will be distanced to a minimum of 3 ft.
- If a masked student tests positive, and the students that are deemed close contacts were wearing masks as well, then the contacts will not be required to quarantine.
- If either student, positive or contact, was not wearing a mask, then both will be required to quarantine.
We encourage all who are eligible to get the COVID-19 vaccine. If a student is vaccinated and is deemed a close contact to a positive student, they will NOT be required to quarantine. They will be instructed to monitor their symptoms for the next 5-7days and encouraged to wear a mask. If the student develops symptoms, they will be tested and quarantined. If the student remains asymptomatic, and the parent would like them tested after day 5, we will do so.
Thank you for your continued support,
Lincoln Charter School