While some are calling it a political ploy and fake news, the US death toll from COVID-19 will almost certainly climb to over 100,000 this weekend. [Update: it didn't quite--as of Monday morning, 99,348 people had died from the disease in the US.] 1258 new deaths on Friday brought the total to 97,612. The US has had 1,644,340 people test positive for the disease. That means of those known to have had it (positive tests), 5.9% have died. 397,218, or 24% of those who tested positive, have now recovered. (The number who have died and the number who are known to have recovered do not add up to the total; why? Because some of those who tested positive haven't yet surpassed the 14-day observation/quarantine period. 17,080 people in the US are still hospitalized with COVID-19 in serious or critical condition. Others tested positive but did not require hospitalization.
Worldwide, 339,366 people have died from COVID-19 or complications related to the disease.
The Friday afternoon report on Lincoln County showed 13 active cases, 43 recovered, and 10 awaiting their test results.
Gaston County reported 42 active cases, 199 recovered and six deaths.
Catawba County had 78 active cases, 61 recovered, and four deaths.
Cleveland County had reported 63 positive tests and two deaths. No report on the number of active cases there was available.
As of Friday afternoon, Mecklenburg County had reported over 3,000 positive tests for the disease and 73 deaths. While the number of people who have recovered was not reported, it was reported that Mecklenburg still had over 1,000 active cases.
As of 11 AM Friday (May 22nd) North Carolina had 728 deaths related to COVID-19 and over 21,000 people who had been tested had been found to have it. Of those known to have had the disease (21,618 positive tests) in North Carolina, 3.3% have died.
The latest advice from health care professionals--state, local and national is the same: take steps to protect yourself and others and to help avoid spreading the disease.
As North Carolina prepared to enter Phase Two of Governor Roy Cooper's three phase plan for reopening businesses in our state Friday evening, the governor, NCDHHS Secretary Dr. Mandy Cohen, and others on the Coronavirus Task Force, held a briefing. There were no new annoucements of substance, but the advice to continue the three W's was repeated: wait when shopping at least six feet from other customers, wear a covering for your nose and mouth, and wash your hands and take other santizing measures to avoid the virus on surfaces.
When Larry Dellinger started the Lincoln Herald in 2012, he knew the world had changed. He had spent over half a century in the newspaper business. He knew that the future of news would be the internet. By 2018, 64% of US adults said they sometimes got news from a news website or app, a percentage equaled only by television. Only 41% said they still read newspapers in print.
The Lincoln Herald has been providing local news FREE online since 2012. We continue to grow every year. We post links to all our articles on Facebook & Twitter, and over 6,000 readers have signed up for our FREE daily email service and get an email every day with links to the articles we've posted since the previous day's email.