|2/12/2020 2:01:00 PM|
Today In History - February 12
|Reprinted By Permission|
Today in History in 1809 Abraham Lincoln, 16th US President (1861-65) was born; and in 1914 a Dedication Ceremony was held for the about to be constructed Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.
Our on this day in history archives contain over 200,000 events, birthdays and deaths from 6,000 years of history. Here is a roundup of a few of them:
- 1554 - Queen of England for nine days, Lady Jane Grey is executed for treason.
- 1700 - The Great Northern War begins in Northern Europe between Denmark–Norway, Saxony and Russia and the Swedish Empire.
- 1874 - King David Kalakaua of Sandwich Is Hawaii, is 1st king to visit US
- 1908 - NY to Paris auto race (via Alaska & Siberia) begins in NYC George Schuster wins after 88 days behind the wheel
- 1912 - Last Ch'ing (Manchu) emperor of China, Hsuan T'ung, abdicates
- 1914 - Dedication ceremony for the about to be constructed Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC
- 1924 - George Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue" premieres at Aeolian Hall, NYC
- 1947 - French fashion designer Christian Dior presents his first influential collection, named the "New Look"
- 1999 - US President Bill Clinton acquitted by the Senate in his impeachment trial
- 2001 - NEAR Shoemaker spacecraft touchdown in the "saddle" region of 433 Eros becoming the first spacecraft to land on an asteroid.
- 2013 - North Korea confirms it has successfully tested a nuclear device that could be weaponized
- 1663 - Cotton Mather, American Puritan minister (Salem witchcraft trials), born in Boston, Massachusetts
- 1809 - Abraham Lincoln, Kentucky, (R) 16th US President (1861-65)
- 1809 - Charles Darwin, England, discovered evolution (Origin of the Species)
- 1815 - Edward Forbes, Douglas Isle of Man, English Naturalist and pioneer in the field of biogeography
- 1915 - Lorne Greene, Ottawa Canada, actor (Bonanza, Battlestar Galactica)
- 1934 - Bill Russell, Monroe La, NBAer (Boston Celtics, Oly-gold-56)
- 1952 - Michael McDonald, St Louis, rock keyboardist/vocals (Doobie Brothers)
- 1968 - Chynna Phillips, vocalist (Wilson Philips-Hold On), born in Los Angeles, California
- 1968 - Josh Brolin, actor (Johnny-Private Eye, Jimmy Hickok-Young Riders)
- 1736 - Maria Theresa Habsburg marries French Stefanus (emperor Francois I)
- 1789 - Ethan Allen, American patriot, dies at 51
- 1971 - James Cash Penney, US founder (J C Penney), dies at 95
- 1983 - Eubie Blake, US ragtime-composer/pianist (Memories of You), dies at 96
- 2000 - Tom Landry, American football coach (Dallas Cowboys), dies at 75
- 2000 - Charles M. Schulz, American cartoonist, dies at 77
- 2007 - Randy Stone, American actor and casting director (b. 1958)
- 2014 - Isaac Sidney "Sid" Caesar, American comic actor and writer ("Your Show of Shows") dies aged 91
Have Us E-mail You The Latest News
Your #1 Local Source for News, Sports, Opinion, Obituaries, Religion, Classifieds, Events, Photos, Community, Coupons, and more!
Serving Lincoln, Catawba, Gaston and Cleveland counties including the areas of Lincolnton, Denver, Maiden, Stanley, Alexis, Vale, Crouse, Iron Station, High Shoals and Cherryville.
Not a newspaper, not a magazine, we’re online – on your computer at home or work, on your smartphone… with news and more 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year including holidays.
To Make Sure You Always
Get The Latest Updates,
If You Haven’t Already:
Like Our Facebook Page and
Click On SEE FIRST at
Also Follow Us On Twitter
Article Comment Submission Form